"At the heart of my argument about what should happen in education
is a different conception of talent and ability,
and what drives people."
-Sir Ken Robinson (45 second mark - video below courtesy TIME)
Five-Minute VIDEO Below
It's been about four years since Sir Ken Robinson's TED talk (still #1 of all time) and his message is breaking through into venues beyond the education space. Glad to see his recent Vanity Fair magazine write-up, Guiding Knight (we added live link to our very first Sir Ken post):
In addition, check out TIME's video below, "10 Questions for Sir Ken Robinson" about his book, Finding Your Element --If there was a moment when our crisis in education reached a critical mass, it may well have been the date Sir Ken Robinson's TED talk "Do Schools Kill Creativity?" went up on YouTube.
In just 19 minutes, his wry but eviscerating presentation gave voice to what so many of us are living through: our schools are failing to recognize creativity; we're misdiagnosing A.D.H.D. and overmedicating students; we're failing to prepare the next generation for the challenges that lie ahead. It's the most viewed TED talk of all time.
Great Links Related to this post via The Daily Riff:
- What is Hacking Education? Sir Ken Challenges Diverse Education Thought Leaders
- The Finland Phenomenon: Inside the World's Most Surprising School System
- Mike Huckabee: "Kids leave school not because they are dumb but because they are BORED!"(Video Interview with Sir Ken)
- Charlie Rose: The Creative Brain
- How Creative are You?
- Changing the Education Paradigm - Video with Sir Ken Robinson - RSA Animate
- The Creativity Crisis in our Schools - Newsweek
- Sir Ken: The Purpose of Education Video from London Learning Without Frontier Conference
- "So Many are Prevented from Finding Their True Talents" - CNN video w/Sir Ken
- Best-Selling Author Seth Godin Slams the Education System